Bad breath (halitosis) can cause embarrassment that may affect your personal and professional relationships. If bad breath persists, it can impact esteem and self-confidence.
Studies show that about 80% of halitosis problems originate in the mouth; the remaining 20% result from medical causes. Most often it can be caused from food, reflux, tooth decay or broken or leaking fillings, periodontal disease, dry mouth or a build up of plaque and tartar that can harbor odor-causing bacteria. Some of the medical causes that may contribute to a patient having an ongoing halitosis problem are sinus infections, diabetes, stomach, liver or kidney ailment or diet. Certain medications can also cause bad breath. Smokers, tobacco chewers and those who live with them know that those who use tobacco, in any form, often have bad breath.
Treating bad breath at Interlachen Dental Associates begins with a professional cleaning and examination. Once we determine that the problem originates in your mouth, we’ll first deal with the issue by addressing your dental and oral health. Eliminating periodontal disease and maintaining excellent oral hygiene
helps to promote fresh breath.
It is important that you brush your teeth and tongue at least twice a day, floss once a day and rinse with an antiseptic mouthrinse, such as Listerine, or a periodontal rinse, such as BreathRx, twice a day to help kill the bacteria in your mouth. (Make sure that you purchase products with the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance displayed on them). Be sure to keep regular scheduled professional cleanings. See Oral Hygiene Instructions.
If bad breath is a concern for you, make a list of any medications (over the counter and prescription, including vitamins) that you take as well as any surgery or illness that you may have had since your last visit. Bring the list along for your next scheduled dental visit.
Daily oral hygiene is necessary to maintain a healthy smile and prevent tooth decay and periodontal disease. Here are a few tips on technique and the type of oral care products to purchase to help you. Keep in mind that any products you purchase should have the American Dental Association’s (ADA) Seal of Acceptance displayed on them. This ensures that the product has met the ADA’s criteria for safety and effectiveness. (For more information go to the ADA website at www.ada.org).
It’s important to brush your teeth a minimum of 2 times a day to remove plaque and debris or as your health professional recommends.
Choose a toothbrush with soft nylon bristles. Most people find a small-to-medium toothbrush head more comfortable and easier to manipulate in your mouth. Your toothbrush should be replaced when the brush begins to lose its shape and the bristles become frayed, no less than every three months.
The advantage of using an electric toothbrush is that, in general, it does a better job. The high-speed movement may disrupt the bacterial plaque more effectively. Choose an ADA accredited product such as Sonicare, Oral-B or Crest.
Choose a toothpaste containing fluoride, approved by the ADA, to help prevent tooth decay.
- Hold the brush at a slight angle where your teeth and gum tissue meet and brush both the inside and outside surfaces of your teeth.
- Move the brush gently back and forth in a small circular motion. To reach the inside surfaces of your front teeth, tilt your brush vertically and use gentle up and down strokes with the head of your toothbrush. Be sure to brush the chewing surfaces of your teeth.
- After you have brushed all the surfaces of all your teeth, use your brush to brush your tongue to help remove bacteria that can cause bad breath.
- Effective brushing usually takes 3-4 minutes.
- Rinse your brush after each use.
It’s important to floss every day to clean the areas that your toothbrush cannot reach.Technique
- Use a piece of dental floss approximately 18 inches long.
- Wind each end of the floss around your middle fingers, leaving about a 2-inch length between them.
- Hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and forefingers and slide the floss between two teeth.
- When the floss is at the gumline, curve it around one tooth and then move it up and down against the tooth’s surface, making sure the floss goes under the gum tissue as low as it will go.
- Move the floss up and down several times to remove plaque under the gum tissue.
- Repeat this procedure on each tooth.
Should you have any questions, please call our office, Interlachen Dental Associates, at 952-920-9579.