Today a root canal treatment was started on your tooth. By doing this procedure we can restore your tooth so it functions like any other natural tooth.Anesthesia:
- You will continue to be under the effects of the anesthetic for several hours following your treatment. Depending on the type of anesthetic you had, the lower arch will most likely stay numb longer than the upper arch.
What you can expect:
- Please use caution when eating or drinking anything while numb. We recommend a soft and moderate temperature diet during this time. Avoid hot, hard or chewy foods so you do not burn or bite yourself for the next few hours.
- Endodontic treatment may cause your tooth to be sore for a day or two. This may be due either to the previous condition of your tooth or caused by the manipulation within the tooth today. This is a normal reaction. If you experience soreness, take ibuprofen or acetaminophen to control the discomfort and inflammation. Avoid chewing on this tooth while soreness persists.
- The tissue around this tooth may be sore for a day or two. Rinsing the area with warm salt water (dissolve ½ teaspoon salt in an 8 oz. glass of warm water) should be helpful.
- You may notice a medicinal taste. This is due to the medication placed in your tooth and is not harmful to you.
- The tooth opening through which the root canal treatment was done has been sealed with a temporary filling. It is a soft filling and may wear down. That is not unusual.
- Occasionally there is soreness in the injection site, which can last a day or two. Ibuprofen or acetaminophen may help with this discomfort.
When to call our office:
- When taking any medications, be sure to read the label for directions, allergy alerts and warnings. Follow directions on the label or as prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- If you experience any swelling or discomfort that cannot be controlled with ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
- If the temporary filling that is placed in your tooth comes out. Please call our office to schedule an appointment so we can replace it.
Call us today to schedule an appointment.